18 April 2010

Calling.

Photobucket
So today was Josh's big presentation. It really gave some insight on how much the church is losing its youth, and how we can help get those kids back. Having him as a friend though, I already knew a lot that information, I just didn't have the numbers that went along with it. Shocking numbers, St. Paul is such a good example for this because from freshmen to seniors in high school, we have had 80 become confirmed members of the church, and only 15 of them show up on a regular basis and actual DO something in the church, whether it be bible studies or game nights, or even big events like out-reach programs. It truly is a depressing thing, and I see it all the time being a part of SP and this generation. I really want to do something to help.
Which brings me to my next point.
As I grew up in SP, school and church, I have heard a lot about "God's calling" for people in their professions. Chris was really good at cars and whatever, but he thought God was calling him to do something else. My mom wanted to be a nurse, but she thought God was calling her to be a teacher and work with kids at a Lutheran school. My pastor worked in the Marines, and he got God's calling to become a reverend. I think that I might be getting my calling.
As I have spent the last sixths months getting closer to Josh and Chris as friends, I feel like I have really wanted to help them in the aid for getting more youth. I mean, look at all the things I took up at SP! I have done volleyball, lock-ins, SNL (Sunday Night Live, aka, game night), small groups, and the list goes on. What if I am supposed to continue my work towards the youth? I am not saying I want to be a deaconess, because those kind of creep my out and are part of a different Lutheran denomination. Its just that, I feel very strongly for the youth at SP, and I think they could use A LOT more help, and I think I might be able to lighten that load.
After Josh did his presentation, I made my way out of the church because I had to go help in the nursery for the voters meeting. I stopped out in the narthex, because I wasn't exactly sure on what I needed to do. As I stood out there, Josh, his family, pastor, and Mr. Froidenberg (no idea how to spell that man's name) made their way out too. My dad, before the service, had an interview with Mr.Froidenberg for Josh's sake, as part of Josh's final project. Anyways, Mr.Froidenberg was informed that I was at Mott, and didn't really have any direction towards a major, and that I was really involved in the youth at my church (Thanks Dad). So, as I stood out there waiting for directions from Liz, Froidenberg bee-lined for me. I was so glad to be forewarned that this might happen, but that didn't stop me from freaking out on the inside. I was talking to the head-honcho and a very important man in the Lutheran world. He basically started this Family-Life Program in the Lutheran Synod. As I calmed myself down, I was able to consider what he was saying. He was very excited that I did consider Concordia at one time, and he would really like to seem me in that branch of work. There are also many different branches in that field, like working with families who have ill children in the hospital and need support, or families that have adopted kids and getting them included. The list goes on. He seemed very interested that I was still so involved in my church, and I was really willing to hep Chris and Josh with all of their stuff. He told me to talk to them both about it, and see what I think. My dad told me I could expect him to call too. So that should be interesting.
As I walked away from Froidenberg, Josh's parents saw that I was talking to him, and they were very excited too. They think I would be great at doing what Josh does, and they think I should consider Concordia too. It was a very awkward moment for me, because I didn't know Josh's family as well, but they were thoroughly excited for me and the fact that this was something I might want to do with the rest of my life.
So far I have been thinking how rewarding this kind of job would be. I would be responsible for all these kids and their faith-lives. I would be able to bring those lost closer to God, and be able to show them that this is truly something to be proud of, your faith. I would get to work with them, and not have to teach them haha. I could still coach, I could have another job, I could make this as a career, I could work with families, I could help friends, I could help those who want to see their kid in more involved in things. I think these things are all very exciting in their own way. So who knows, you guys might see my living in Ann Arbor in a year or less. I also considered my messy, and not so clean past. I would feel so guilty leading kids to be better than me, if I could not originally treat myself the way I was supposed to. Then I look at Josh (don't take that the wrong way), but he has a past similar to mine, and he takes it as a sort of testimony as to what made him stronger in his faith, and decision to continue on this road through ministry. I don't know, its just something else to consider, and something else that might need some deeper thought.
This, and other options, are all great things to consider, and will definitely need to be prayed about.

No comments:

Post a Comment